The Smithers Figure Skating Club (SFSC), in British Columbia, is seeking a Director of Skating for the 2019/2020 season and beyond. This is a 12 month, salaried contract position that includes both on and off ice duties commencing July 2019 or sooner. Our skating season runs from late August through to March each year. The Director of Skating will serve SFSC and its skating members in overseeing the operations of all programming. The successful candidate must be a team player, be prepared to work with a coaching team and be involved in all aspects of club activities including off ice classes and coaching at all levels (Pre-Canskate, CanSkate, Pre-STAR, STAR, and CanPowerSkate). Learn more about our club at smithersfigureskatingclub.com. The SFSC is a healthy skating club with over 95 members, providing 12-15 hours of ice per week.
Brief Job Description:
- Provide leadership, supervision and coordination for SFSC programs and coaching staff.
- Eligible to coach at all levels from CanSkate to Gold, including dance.
- Must be able to coach on all sessions.
- Provide group and private lessons.
- Act as primary Coach Liaison for the Board of Directors.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work with skaters, parents and board members.
- Provide leadership and coordination for special events such as annual carnival, club competitions, local skating performances, awards banquet, and guest coach seminars.
- Minimum NCCP Regional Coach Certified (or currently seeking) and preferred CanPowerSkate Certified.
- Completion of the STAR 1-5 Program and Assessor elearning training modules.
- Previous Coaching experience preferred.
- Skate Canada Professional Coach in good standing.
Coaches selected for an interview will be required to provide proof of the following:
- Registered: To be a Registered Skate Canada Professional Coach, full payment is required of all registration fees and insurance premiums as determined annually by Skate Canada.
- In Good Standing: To be a Registered Skate Canada Professional Coach in Good Standing, the following is required:
- Must hold a valid first aid certificate
- Screening must be done through the company approved by Skate Canada. Following review of the results of this screening, the status must show as “Clear” in the Skate Canada profile of the coach.
- Must provide proof of Skate Canada CanPowerSkate Certified status AND NCCP Regional Coach Certified status
- NCCP certified coaches must maintain a renewed NCCP certification status as per the Coaching Association of Canada’s (CAC) Maintenance of Certification Policy
- Have agreed to the Skate Canada Code of Ethics
- Completed the Respect in Sport Activity Leader Training. A coach must be re-certified in this training every 3 years
Smithers and the Bulkley Valley has much to offer…fabulous hiking, mountain biking, nearby lakes to fish, swim, canoe or boat, 2 golf courses and many trails and green spaces. Amenities include swimming pool with fitness centre and squash courts, art gallery, library, world class cross country and downhill skiing, a vibrant local arts and music scene and much more… Smithers has a quaint downtown main street with many boutique stores and coffee shops. To learn more about Smithers and its vibrant community visit tourismsmithers.ca.
How to Apply
Smithers Figure Skating Club
Box 2147 Smithers, BC V0J 2N0
Or via email: email@example.com
Attention: Carrie Collingwood & Luba Kasum