The Gloucester Skating Club (GSC) has been serving skaters since 1971 and is one largest clubs in Canada with an active membership of more than 1,100 skaters. Our club offers a wide variety of skating programs including CANSkate, Competitive stream, STARSkate, Synchronized, Dance, Pairs and Active for Life programs. The professional coaching staff are second to none. Their efforts, along with the skaters’ talent and commitment, contribute to the success of our club. Since its inception, the GSC has been the home and training center of many accomplished skaters and coaches, who have represented the club at National and International levels.
GSC is looking to welcome a new Director of CANSkate to the team. The position will report to a volunteer Board of Directors, with a direct reporting relationship to the Executive. The CANSkate Director will be responsible for the planning and implementing of a yearlong CANSkate Program at GSC.
Location: 1490 Youville Drive, Orleans, ON, K1C 2X8
Hours of Work: Approximately 20 hours per week expected, availability in evenings may be required,
and up to 40 hours a week during peak periods.
Contract value: $18,000 – $22,000 including taxes
Up to $150 in Professional Development fees annually.
The CANSkate Director will work collaboratively with the General Manager and report directly to the Executive of the Board. The Board will provide direction and support to establish annual performance objectives in line with the key accountabilities outlined below.
The CANSkate Director will be expected to attend all Board meetings (typically one per month).
Key Job Accountabilities:
The CANSkate Director for the Gloucester Skating club is responsible for preparing and implementing a CANSkate curriculum to registered club members for the entire year which maintains the Gold standard that our club has achieved. The season commences in September and ends in August. The CANSkate Director must work together with the Board, the GM and the Director of Skating on strategic planning and goal setting for club programming.
Key job accountabilities will include:
- collaborate with the Director of Skating and the General Manager on ice allocation; start
dates/end dates, cancellations, and special events.
- create music Playlists for all CANSkate, Pre-STAR, Recfigure /Active 4 Life programs
- organize and deliver Program Assistant’s training with PA coordinator
- communicate with members by email through online site
- purchase any supplies needed for new season; badges, ribbons, progress report cards, teaching
aids and incentives
- create lists for skaters’ name tags and attendance lists by session
- supervise and oversee delivery of first sessions
- assess and move skaters according to ability
- modify delivery of CANSkate sessions depending on registration, when necessary
- identify skaters for Pre-STAR program in conjunction with the Director of Skating, communicate
with parents and encourage the conversion from CANSkate to STARSkate
- ensure all sessions are meeting Skate Canada’s Delivery Standards
- provide assistance to coaches during CANSkate sessions
- provide mentoring to new CANSkate coaches
- monitor and report coach attendance and absences to General Manager
- provide all teaching aids, incentives and necessary equipment for coaches
- ensure coaches have all updates pertaining to Skate Canada’s CANSkate Delivery Standards
- provide skater’s group and individual sheets for each coach by session
- provide weekly lesson schedule
- ensure parents receive all important information regarding their child’s CANSkate session prior
to start of session
- mediate any complaints from parents regarding CANSkate coaching or session concerns
- communicate to GM and Board Executive any conflicts that cannot be resolved
- work with the GM and the Board to promote GSC CANSkate programming in greater Ottawa
Skills and experiences:
- CANSkate Certification
- STARSkate Trained
- More than 5 years coaching experience
- Standard First Aid/CPR Course
- Respect in Sport for Activities Leader
- Computer literacy, ability to use registration system, excel and word to prepare reports /
analyses of skater activities
- Must work well in a team environment and have the ability to communicate effectively orally
and in writing.
- Must have the ability to deal with difficult situations with a calm and cooperative demeanor
based on the amount of coach and parent interaction requirements.
- Plan, organize and prioritize task and meet deadlines
How to Apply
If the CANSkate Director position describes your interests and skills, we would like to hear from you.
Please apply by sending a cover letter and resume to email@example.com by June 28, 2019.