Markham Skating Club has been a strong member of the Markham community for over 50 years; we’ve been a Skate Canada-sanctioned club since 1964. Every other year, MSC produces an enormous Ice Show that the skaters just love! It’s a top-quality production featuring world-class guest skaters like Toller Cranston, Patrick Chan and Nam Nguyen. We are proud of our culture of inclusion, and the camaraderie that develops among our skaters and their families is unparalleled. Our ultimate mission is to inspire a life long love for the sport of skating.
The Markham Skating Club offers a wide range of top-quality programs. From “learn to skate” programs to adult lessons, and Performance Enrichment to Power Skating, we strive to offer something for everyone.
– CanSkate is a beginner program for skaters aged 5 and up who are able to stand up and move around competently on the ice. Our professional coaches work hard to ensure a fun time with 30 minutes of group instruction per session and an exceptionally low skater-to-coach ratio.
– Pre-CanSkate is a modified delivery option of CanSkate.
– Our STARSkate programs are divided into Intermediate, Senior, and Advanced/Gold sessions. STARSkaters work to develop their figure skating in the areas of ice dance, skating skills, free skate and interpretive skating. Skaters may take tests through Skate Canada’s nationally standardized testing system, and they may choose to enter competitions, but testing and competing is not mandatory. All STARSkate levels include a stroking session at the start of each session.
– Adult/Teen sessions offer a fun, non-judgmental environment for those aged 13 and up to improve basic skating skills or maintain more advanced skills. This session accepts skaters of ALL levels, even beginner adults.
– Performance Enrichment Program (PEP) is designed for dedicated, goal-oriented skaters to move ahead quickly. Focus is on edges, stamina, skill and form. PEP skaters receive group lessons, coach-led drills, performance training and more.
– Our CanPower (power skating) programs are widely renowned, and are led by coaches with over 30 years’ experience in power skating. NHL stars like Jeff Skinner and Steven Weiss have gone through the MSC CanPower program. This program is designed to build strong skating skills for new and experienced hockey and ringette players. Focus is placed on edge quality and control, body alignment and balance. A variety of stopping, starting and turning exercises will challenge the skaters both physically and mentally, helping to develop better on-ice coordination and body awareness.
Markham Skating Club operates a huge costume rental business called The Loft. Housed within the Markham Village Arena, The Loft is two floors of one-of-a-kind costumes, available at extremely reasonable prices. Hundreds of unique, professional grade costumes and skating outfits are in stock, in all sizes from toddler to adult. Not just for skating, we rent for parties and halloween, professional theatrical productions and more. Please contact the Loft at 905-294-0673 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.