Team Selection for Canada Games:
- Four disciplines at one level of competition will be evaluated to compete at the Canada Games. Men, Women, Pair and Ice Dance at the Pre-Novice level. The age requirements are set by Skate Canada rules and the selection will abide by these age requirements.
- The team will be made up of five male and five female athletes
- The team will be selected based on an athletes’ total body of work for competitions in the fall of 2022 through to the 2023 Skate Ontario Sectional Championships December competition that will be held December 9-11, 2022.
Body of work will include but not limited to:
- Competition results
- Short/Free program scores
- Elements successful in competition programs
- Competition scores increasing as the season goes on
- Athletes must be a team player and have shown fair play both on and off the ice
- In the case of a discipline not being represented, the alternate from another discipline will be selected, maintaining the male/female balance for the team.
- A panel of five, consisting of the male team coach, female team coach, Skate Ontario Coordinator, Provincial Programs, Skate Ontario Manager, Podium Pathway, and Skate Ontario Director, Sport Development will choose the alternate discipline based on the athletes’ body of work for competitions in the fall of 2022 through to the 2023 Skate Ontario Sectional Championship December competition held December 9-11, 2022.
- Two athletes, 1 male and 1 female will be selected
- Athletes must be a minimum of 13 years of age, and under 30 years of age, as of December 31, 2022
- Criteria for events are set out in the 2023 Canada Winter Games Technical Package. Skate Ontario will abide by these guidelines and rules
- The qualifying event will be Provincial Series – K.I.S, taking place November 25 – 27, 2022
Athletes will be named to the 2023 CWG Team Ontario no later than December 15, 2022.
The full Canada Winter Games Skater Selection Policy can be found here and any inquiries or questions can be directed to Katherine Short, Coordinator, Provincial Programs.