We are pleased to share updates with you about Skate Ontario events planned for this Fall. Please note that due to the continuously evolving nature of the COVID-19 pandemic, changes in public health guidelines may require event formats to be adjusted, or in some cases, events to be cancelled. We consider the safety of our stakeholders to be our priority. We appreciate your continued understanding and support as we strive to offer our skaters safe and meaningful opportunities during the challenging times of a global pandemic.
2021 Skate Ontario Sectional Championships
- We are currently planning on hosting the Skate Ontario Sectionals Championships the week of November 1, 2020 in the Greater Toronto Area
- As per Skate Canada’s 2021 Skate Canada Challenge Announcement on September 9, 2020, only Junior and Senior categories in Singles, Pairs & Dance will be offered at this event
- At this point in time, the format will be skaters and officials on-site, following COVID-19 protocols
- Unfortunately, the location will no longer be in Flamborough and the location for this competition has not yet been finalized
Is there an update on the Pre-Novice and Novice season, now that they are not competing at Sectionals?
Skate Ontario is currently creating additional competition opportunities for our Pre-Novice and Novice skaters that will align with Skate Canada’s new plans for a National event in March.
Skate Ontario has added Pre-Novice and Novice categories in Singles, Pairs & Dance to the Skate ON – Stratford event in December. This will be a performance opportunity for these skaters and will not be considered as part of the qualifying process for the new National event.
More information about additional event opportunities for Pre-Novice and Novice this season and the qualifying process for the Nationals event will be communicated this Fall.
Skate ON Updates
As a follow up to our August 21, 2020 announcement we have additional event information to share.
What is a Skate ON Event?
- Skate ON events are meant to give skaters meaningful performance opportunities as we return to skating this season in Ontario
- It is important to note that Skate ON events will look and feel different from previous Skate Ontario events
- Skate ON events will not be considered as qualifying events for Skate Ontario Provincial Championships
What is the event format for Skate ON Events?
- Skaters will perform on-site at the event venue. Officials will be located off-site and will score the event virtually. The event will be professionally videotaped, and recordings of each skater’s program will be uploaded and made available to assigned officials. Results will be produced by Data Specialists.
- Skaters will receive a ranking and a Skater Detail report card
- Results will be posted online after the event is completed and communicated to the participants, within timelines to be determined.
- Skaters will not receive medals or scores on site. Medals will be shipped to medalists’ home club.
What categories will be offered at upcoming Skate ON Events?
|Location||Date||Pre-Novice/Novice||Pre-Novice/Novice||Pre-Novice/Novice||Pre-Juv/Juv||STAR 5-Gold||STAR 5-Gold|
|Thunder Bay||Dec. 11-13||X||X||X|
Special Olympics – We are working with Special Olympics Ontario to offer meaningful performance opportunities in the new year for Special Olympics skaters, that may include virtual competition formats.
Adult – Adult categories will not be offered in November and December at Skate ON events; however Skate Ontario is considering meaningful performance opportunities for Adult skaters starting in January, that may include virtual competition formats.
You can find the link to the Skate ON-Baltimore Announcement here.
Please review all event announcements before registering for a competition.
Skate ON-Keswick – While we had hoped to deliver this event in Keswick Nov 20-22, at the current time we are uncertain if this event will proceed. Please stay tuned for more details in the coming weeks.
Which Skate ON Events can skaters enter?
- Skaters are permitted to enter only one Skate ON event in November/December
- Skate ON events are running as one pad competitions due to current government restrictions and therefore there will be a reduced number of entries available
- By restricting skaters to one Skate ON event, it will provide greater opportunity for more skaters to compete
What categories at a Skate ON Event can a skater enter?
- All skaters may enter only one category at a Skate ON event
- i.e. A skater that enters STAR 7 may not also enter Juvenile Women U14
- i.e. A skater that enters STAR 5 artistic may not also enter STAR 6 Free Skate
- i.e. A skater that enters Pre-Novice Short Program may not also enter Pre-Novice Free Program*
*Please note: Pre-Novice/Novice categories will be offered as separate categories only. There will be no combined result.
As there will be Pre-Novice and Novice categories offered at the Skate ON-Stratford event, this will obviously have an impact on the number of spots available for the STARSkate skaters at this event. We are taking steps to maximize the number of registration spots by allowing skaters to register for only one Skate ON event during November and December.
How will registration work for Skate ON Events?
- STARSkate and Pre-Novice/Novice skaters will register for all Skate ON events on a first come, first served basis
- Registration windows can be found below for Skate ON – Baltimore and Skate ON – Huntsville
- Registration windows for Skate ON – Stratford and Skate ON – Thunder Bay will be communicated at a later date
- If registration at a Skate ON event reaches capacity, skaters will have the option to register and be placed on a waitlist to be contacted if a spot becomes available
What are the registration windows for Skate ON Events?
- Skate ON – Baltimore – Tuesday, September 22 at 10am ET to Sunday September 27 at 11:59pm ET
- Skate ON – Huntsville – Friday, September 25 at 10am ET to Sunday, October 4 at 11:59pm ET
- Skate Ontario is considering the addition of a virtual competition opportunity this Fall/Winter
- More information will be communicated by October 16, 2020
Will there be Skate ON events offered between January and March?
- We are working to confirm what competitions will be offered for the remainder of the season
- Decisions will be made considering all government guidelines and the safety of our stakeholders
- There is a possibility Skate Ontario events will continue to be smaller in size and registration limits may continue to be placed on the number of events skaters may enter
- More information will be communicated by October 16, 2020
When will I receive more information regarding the Skate ON Events in Huntsville, Keswick, Stratford and Thunder Bay?
- Please stay tuned in the coming days and weeks for more information regarding Skate ON event information, including announcements, registration timelines and Return to Competition Protocols.