Nestled on the shores of southern Georgian Bay, The Owen Sound Skating Club has been a strong part of the community for over 80 years.
Respectful of this deep legacy, our seasoned Board of Directors provides our skaters and coaches with a supportive, stable environment both on and off the ice. We enjoy a strong working relationship with the City of Owen Sound that has allowed our Club to secure the ice allocation required to grow and develop our programs. Comprised of former skaters, coaches and evaluators, our Board is innovative and encouraging of new ideas and program development.
We are proud to call the Julie McArthur Regional Recreation Centre home. Opened in 2012, this stunning, light-filled twin-pad (NHL size) facility features year-round ice, modern sound system, a Lebel Harness and is adjacent to the YMCA of Owen Sound Grey Bruce with its 25-metre lane pool, fitness centre, gymnasium, studios and walking/running track for off-ice training opportunities.
We currently run a 22-week winter season (October – Mar) offering the following programs:
- CanSkate/PreCanSkate – Monday/Saturday
- Shooting Stars (Intro to StarSkate) – Monday/Saturday
- StarSkate (1 – Gold) – Monday/Thursday/Saturday
- PowerSkate – Wednesday
In the off-season, OSSC attracts STARSkaters from throughout the Grey-Bruce for our spring and summer programing.
We’re seeking a dynamic Head Coach with the energy, enthusiasm and technical knowledge to lead our learn-to-skate and figure skating programs into the future. This is an exciting opportunity for a coach looking to create an enhanced training environment. All the supports are in place… all we need is you!
In addition to the Club Coach and freelance opportunities at the Owen Sound Skating Club, additional freelance opportunities may be available at neighbouring Clubs, specifically the Meaford Figure Skating Club located in Meaford, ON. OSSC and MFSC have enjoyed a long-standing neighbourly relationship and have shared coaching, test day and dance partnering resources for many years.
- Regional Coach Trained status or Higher
- Registered: to be a Registered Skate Canada Professional Coach, full payment is required of all registration fees and insurance premiums annually by Skate Canada.
- In Good Standing: To be a Registered Skate Canada Professional Coach in Good Standing, the following is required:
- Must hold a valid first aid certificate.
- Screening must be done through the company approved by Skate Canada. Following review of the results of this screening, the status must show as “Clear” In the Skate Canada profile of the coach.
- NCCP certified coaches must maintain a renewed NCCP certification status as per the Coaching Association of Canada’s (CAC) Maintenance of Certification Policy.
- Have agreed to the Skate Canada Code of Ethics.
- Completed the Respect in Sport Activity Leader Training. A coach must be re-certified in this training every 3 years.
How to Apply
Interested coaches are invited to submit a resume and covering letter to the Board of Directors via email: firstname.lastname@example.org