The Gloucester Skating Club (GSC) has been serving skaters since 1971 and is one largest clubs in Canada with an active
membership of more than 1,100 skaters. Our club offers a wide variety of skating programs including CANSkate,
Competitive stream, STARSkate, Synchronized, Dance, Pairs and Active for Life programs. The professional coaching staffare second to none. Their efforts, along with the skaters’ talent and commitment, contribute to the success of our club. Since its inception, the GSC has been the home and training center of many accomplished skaters and coaches, who have represented the club at National and International levels.
GSC is looking to welcome a General Manager to the team. The position will report to a volunteer Board of Directors,
with a direct reporting relationship to the Executive. The General Manager will be accountable for leading the
organization by implementing Board policies and decisions and providing overall leadership to all aspects of skating club
Location: 1490 Youville Drive, Orleans, ON, K1C 2X8
Hours of Work: Specific hours to be determined, 35 – 40 hours per week expected, availability on evenings and
weekends may be required.
Salary: $52,000 – $61,000, commensurate with experience.
The Club will contribute up to $150 of professional development fees annually.
The General Manager will report directly to the Executive of the Board. The Board will provide direction and support to
establish annual performance objectives in line with the key accountabilities outlined below.
The General Manager will be expected to attend all Board meetings (typically one per month).
Key Job Accountabilities:
The General Manager will be accountable for overall club operations, ensuring that the GSC achieves our strategic and
operational plan objectives. Providing leadership to all GSC staff, including all coaching staff, working with the Director
of Skating and the Director of CANSkate, the General Manager will be responsible for implementing the long-term vision
of the club, ensuring that we continue to provide the best possible programming to meet the high standard for our
skaters and their families.
Key job accountabilities will include:
- Implement Board policies and directions related to club operations;
- Provide support and information to the GSC Board of Directors; Collaborate with the Board Treasurer, establish, monitor, and ensure GSC operates within club budgets;
- Coordinate the Business Management of GSC, including development of performance indicators;
Supervise office and coaching staff; Monitor monthly and year-to-date financials and membership information.
- Adhering to Skate Canada requirements, collaborate with Skating Directors, continue to conceptualize, improve and provide vision to all program areas (CANSkate, STARSkate, CompSkate and Synchro);
- Implement strategic communication (internal / external), promote and market the GSC;
- Develop and sustain community partnerships and governing body relationships as required;
- Work with Volunteer Coordinator to develop and maintain a volunteer base to ensure seamless execution of all GSC events
- Develop and implement a strategy for funding through grant applications, fundraising and other activities; and Manage the administrative aspects of all skating programs and services
- Ensure that all sessions are set up on the Club’s data management system (Amilia) to encourage timely
registrations for all programs
- Working with the Club’s coaching staff, ensure the Club’s administrative systems and procedures effectively
support the GSC’s suite of skating programs and activities
- Manage member complaints
- Complete on-line incident reports with Skate Canada, as required
- Create a positive Club environment for skaters and families, regardless of their level or goals, by providing
exemplary member service
- Review coaching needs with CANSkate Director and Director of Skating and hire new coaches when required;
- Manage all aspects of contract administration for on and off-ice contracts; approve coach invoices where
- Provide coaching schedule and coordinate replacements as required.
- Collaborate with Executive of the Board to deal and mediate conflict resolution for all levels of Skating.
- Attend the monthly Board of Director’s meetings and provide a General Manager Report.
Skills and Experiences:
- Post-secondary education in a related discipline (i.e. business administration, not-for-profit management,
recreational program management)
- Knowledge and/or experience in the sport of figure skating is considered an asset
- More than 5 years of working experience in business or sports administration, including management of budgets and building and implementing strategic business plans
- Strong leadership skills, with previous experience managing a team
- Strong leadership presence, with the ability to work with a variety of stakeholders
- Strong customer service skills
- Previous experience working in a non-profit organization is considered an asset
- Working knowledge and experience with business software (i.e. accounting, member management systems,
other Office suites)
- A passion for sport
How to Apply
If the General Manager position describes your interests and skills, we would like to hear from you. Please apply by
sending a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 28, 2019.