The International Skating Union (ISU) has expanded the Grade of Execution (GOE) from a 7 point scale (+3 to -3) to an 11 point scale (+5 to -5). Skate Canada is implementing the new expanded scale across all disciplines and levels, (except Special Olympics) starting July 1, 2018. Training is available to all Skate Canada stakeholders, particularly judges and coaches, through the Skate Canada Education and Training Academy site (eLearning site).
The Skate Canada Training includes 3 steps: Marking Guidelines (mandatory), Webinar (mandatory) and In-Person Sessions. For all Skate Ontario judges, the Marking Guidelines and Webinar must be completed prior to officiating at your first competition this season.
- Marking Guidelines +5 -5 GOE Scale – This is an eLearning module available through Skate Canada eLearning site, instructions found below. These eLearning modules will introduce the changes to the GOE scale and the guidelines.
- Singles (EN/FR) – available July 5, 2018
- Pairs (EN/FR) – available July 6, 2018
- Ice Dance (EN/FR) – TBD
- +5 -5 GOE Webinar – This is available through the Skate Canada eLearning site. One can work on the module on your own and leave and return as needed. These webinars will explore more details and practical applications of the changes to the GOE scale and will be facilitated by ISU officials. For those who attend the live webinars there will be the opportunity to pose questions to the facilitators. For those unable to attend the live webinars, they will be archived and viewable at the date listed below:
- Ice Dance (EN) – Live July 18 at 6:00pm ET; archive to follow July 19
- Singles (EN) – Live July 18 at 7:30pm ET (revised); archive to follow July 19
- Pairs (EN) – Live July 18 at 9:00pm ET (revised); archive to follow July 19
- Singles (FR) – July 31 (timing to follow)
- Pairs (FR) – July 31 (timing to follow)
- Ice Dance (FR) – July 31 (timing to follow)
- In Person Sessions – These sessions are not mandatory, however attendance is strongly encouraged. Confirmed In Person Sessions will occur at Sectionals Series – Minto Summer Skate and Sectionals Series – GTSA Summer Skate. Session details to be confirmed. These sessions provide an opportunity for further training, to ask questions and for discussion on the changes. Should you be interested in attending one of the sessions at Sectionals Series – Minto Summer Skate, please email Therese Bilsborough at email@example.com. Priority will be given to those officiating at those competitions. Information to follow regarding additional In Person Sessions that may happen during the season.
In addition, the ISU has released webinars for each discipline. The links are found below:
Completed training will show as an achievement and a certificate of completion will be found on a judge’s individual profile. It is encouraged to save a certificate of completion for your own record keeping.
When you have completed the course, please forward a copy of your certificate to Therese Bilsborough, Coordinator, Officials at firstname.lastname@example.org who will then record completion.
Instructions to access Skate Canada eLearning Site
- Access https://members.skatecanada.ca/ through your web browser
- Click on the sign in button in the top right corner
- Sign in using your username and password
Should you not currently have access, and need to activate an account, create a username and password for the membership site. Redeem the invitation code by using this link: https://members.skatecanada.ca/en-US/request-invite/
If a code is not received be email, contact the Skate Canada Members Services Department by email at email@example.com or by phone at 1-888-747-2372.
Once logged in, verify that your profile contains up to date information. Click on eLearning from the navigation near the top of your screen.
To activate the account and create a username or password for the membership site they must redeem the invitation code by using this link: https://members.skatecanada.ca/en-US/request-invite/
If you don’t receive the code by email, they may contact the Member Services Department by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 1-888-747-2372.